Parent and Child Fostering
“There was a mum and her little girl and they stayed for the 12 weeks. She achieved all the things she needed to and managed to get a flat of her own. It felt really good, knowing I’d done everything I could do.” Caroline
Our Parent and Child foster carers provide a safe and secure home for a parent and their child/children. The foster carer is in the unique position of helping the parent develop alongside the child.
You will give the parent the extra help that we all sometimes need to get started. Parent and Child placements are time-limited, initially for 12 weeks, and you will be involved in contributing to the assessment of whether the parent and child move on to independent living.
You will need
- A spare room in your home big enough to accommodate a bed and a cot.
- Experience of being a parent or other relevant experience, for example as a health visitor, childminder, midwife or nurse.
- The ability to teach practical parenting skills like sterilising bottles, preparing a feed, changing nappies and bathing babies.
- The ability to encourage the parent to nurture and engage with their baby and to respond to its needs.
- The ability to establish clear boundaries and routines.
- The ability to relate to young and vulnerable parents.
- The ability to observe people and accurately record and report your findings, including preparing reports for Court that may affect the decision about the long term prospect for the parent and child.
- A commitment to supporting the parent and child to attend health visits, Court and other meetings with professionals, as needed.
- The ability to support contact between the parent and child and their families, including helping with transport if needed.
- The ability to work with a range of professionals.
- A genuine commitment to developing your skills, including learning more about therapeutic parenting.
- Patience and resilience.
- A positive attitude to helping people to change.
- £685.37 per week until placement ends
- Specialised training programme
- Specialised support from your own Fostering Social Worker
- Out of hours emergency support
- A dedicated support group of other Parent and Child foster carers
Find out more